Let me introduce you to Shelby Scarbrough.
Shelby was introduced to me from one of my favorite podcast guests, Justin Breen.
Justin is a master at connecting the two people who need to know each other. He hit the nail on the head with this one – Shelby and I are cut from the same cloth. She has one hell of a story traveling the world with presidents and dignitaries. She has since become a successful entrepreneur who owns an accredited MBA school for entrepreneurship.
In our conversation, I learned about the experiences of a former White House employee and entrepreneur, Shelby Scarbrough, as well as her thoughts on civility and communication. I found it interesting how Scarbrough worked closely with the President and other international dignitaries, learning the importance of professionalism, patience, and grace. She emphasized the need for effective communication and personal responsibility in building trust and respect, especially in this era of social media where people can easily shame others who disagree with them. Scarbrough believes that technology, while a valuable tool, can negatively impact social skills and interpersonal communication, which can lead to the loss of civility in society. Scarbrough is still invested in training, teaching, consulting, and public speaking to inspire others to be successful and reach their full potential.
Shelby’s expertise is on one of my favorite words, Civility.
- Professionalism, patience, and grace are important qualities to cultivate, particularly when dealing with high-pressure situations and working with international dignitaries.
- Effective communication and personal responsibility are critical for building trust and respect, particularly in today’s era of social media where people can easily shame and attack others who hold different views.
- Technology can be a valuable tool, but it can also negatively impact social skills and interpersonal communication, which can lead to a loss of civility in society.
- Training, teaching, consulting, and public speaking can be effective ways to inspire and empower others to reach their full potential.
Overall, these lessons suggest that civility requires intentional effort and a commitment to respectful and empathetic communication. It also highlights the importance of personal responsibility and self-awareness in building positive relationships with others.
1. “The top leaders in the world think differently, act differently, and show grace to other people. They understand that life isn’t perfect and that mistakes can be made, and they need to be given a little bit of latitude in everything.”
2. “Civility is basically the way we treat one another, and it comes down to trust, respect, honor, humility, dignity, compassion, empathy, courtesy, and if you take all of those, and then I put this umbrella over that called personal responsibility. We have to take incongruent beliefs into account and live peacefully with one another.”
3. “We have to get a grip on what our technology is contributing both positively and negatively to our lives.”
Connect with Shelby
To learn more about Shelby’s MBA School for Global Entrepreneurship, click here. –> USE PROMO CODE: WEALTHYWELLTH
To purchase Shelby’s book, Civility Rules!, on Amazon click here.