By subscribing, you’re guaranteed to get the latest episodes as soon as they are live.
Krisstina welcomes bestselling author and Ph.D., Glenn Livingston. Disillusioned by what traditional psychology had been doing to address binge eating and other food-related addictions, Glenn began researching the nature of binge eating. Having personally struggled with obesity and binge eating, Glenn took a passionate approach to finding treatments to alleviate this issue within himself and, eventually, his patients. His book, Never Binge Again, provides insights into this epidemic, as well as strategies and programs to help those suffering to reprogram how they think about and consume food.
In this episode, we talk about food addiction and the physiological effects it can have on our bodies. Glenn discusses how and why the food industry produces food with the intention of causing food addictions, leading to uncontrollable binge eating. He talks about the two parts of our brain that respond to pleasure and how binge eating is an activation of the fight-or-flight response. Glenn shares methodologies for how to break the addiction, including four categories of rules he recommends combatting binge eating. Finally, Glenn discusses the importance of character over willpower when it comes to dealing with addiction.
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/FRf39Pwyg-k
You can also click on the time stamps below to jump to those specific points in the conversation.
What We Covered
- [01:13] – Krisstina welcomes Glenn Livingston, Ph.D. to the podcast
- [04:08] – Glenn’s background in psychology and binge eating
- [07:56] – Findings from a study Glenn did on binge eating
- [08:46] – Glenn recalls confronting his mother about his childhood to explain his binge eating
- [11:36] – How Big Food and Big Pharma try to manipulate consumers to get them addicted to their products
- [13:58] – The two parts of the brain: the lizard brain and the mammalian brain
- [17:14] – Alternative addiction treatments
- [20:50] – Treating binge eating with a cognitive behavioral approach
- [23:09] – What research tells us about willpower
- [26:19] – Glenn’s question: What is the biological need driving your cravings?
- [28:55] – How binge eating affects weight loss
- [32:25] – Glenn defines binge eating
- [35:06] – The importance of commitment when implementing change
- [38:25] – Why character is more important than willpower
- [41:19] – Glenn gives recommendations for those who are struggling with binge eating
- [42:33] – Four categories of rules to help combat binge eating
- [43:48] – Why the terms “never” and “always” are vital to these rules
- [46:48] – The phenomena of upregulation and downregulation
- [48:03] – Glenn debunks the myth that addiction is a disease rather than a choice
Share the Show
Did you enjoy the show? We would love it if you subscribed today and left us a 5-star review!
Click this link – Wealthy Wellthy Wise
Click on the ‘Subscribe’ button below the artwork
Go to the ‘Ratings and Reviews’ section
Click on ‘Write a Review’
Podcast production and marketing provided by FullCast
Music custom created and licensed by JAMSPOT Sync Music Productions.