My guest this week is Dr. William Hsu. After 20 years of a distinguished career as an endocrinologist at Harvard’s Joslin Diabetes Center, Dr. William Hsu joined L-Nutra in 2019 as Chief Medical Officer. In this role, Dr. Hsu leads the clinical development effort at L-Nutra, oversees the Medical Affairs Department, and advances the education and adoption of fasting and Fasting Mimicking Diet as an innovative tool to extend human healthspan.
Among his prior roles, he served as Vice President at Joslin Diabetes Center, a teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School, responsible for its international education and healthcare advisory programs. He served on multiple national-level professional committees, including the American Diabetes Association, setting national standards of medical care in diabetes. His previous research interests focused on the pathophysiology of diabetes and the application of digital technology in chronic care.
Dr. Hsu went to Cornell University for college and received his medical degree from Mount Sinai School of Medicine. He completed his Internal Medicine residency training at Yale School of Medicine and completed his fellowship training in Endocrinology and Metabolism at Harvard Medical School. He was Assistant Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.
- Changes in the function of hormones, cells, and genes
- Reduction of insulin resistance, lowering the risk for type 2 diabetes and helping to reverse it
- Reduces oxidative stress and inflammation in the body
- Promotes heart health by improving blood pressure, blood triglycerides, and LDL cholesterol
- Induces cellular repair throughout the entire body
- Promotes brain health by reducing oxidative stress and brain inflammation
- Prevents neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Huntington’s diseases
Dr. Hsu gives us the backstory and knowledge we need to better understand the sacred mechanism of fasting.
Did you know that around 5-6am is when all the stress hormones surges? This is when the adrenal glands really begin to kick in.
When reasonably applying fasting, there is major rejuvenation going on within the body.
As Dr. Hsu says: “If we were to reduce or take away the source of calories for a period of time, the body is in this crisis moment, so it taps inside and goes to the fats– the central fats– it asks itself: ‘what can I get rid of?’ And when that fasting period passes, when the nutrients come, now the body can form new parts to rejuvenate new cells.”
Fast. Re-eat. Fast. Re-eat. These are the cycles of fasting and the cells way of remaining youthful…longer! I think we all want that 😉
Fun fact: Fasting affects every cell in the body– including brain cells!
After 5 days of prolonged fasting, people experience 4 levels of changes…
- Midsection weight loss (this fat is a source).
- Your body finds fasting as stress. So this is a stress that sharpens your mind & preserves your muscles.
- You feel better! Clarity of the mind. Focused.
- You feel a sense of achievement.
- Your cells are rejuvenated
Dr. Hsu’s pro tip? Repeat this 3x a year!
To be your healthiest yet, Dr. Hsu has provided a code! You can use “wealthywellthy” for 15% for ProLon on ProLonFMD.com or ProLonFast.com.